[Fredslist] Laptop

Leslie A. Berkoff lberkoff at moritthock.com
Wed Nov 7 14:24:49 EST 2007

For those who were interested in the reports on the lap tops, I have
collated them and put them below. FYI I just acquired the sony vaio (new
tiny one tz something) will let you know if it works as well as they
say. Thanks all.

Leslie,

I'm using the smallest Dell they make, which is so small it fits in all
of my briefcases without the need to carry a separate computer bag.

The down side with this particular model is that the dvd drive is
external, by I don't normally have a need to carry that with me.

Having had both Toshiba and Dell, I really prefer the Dell.

Regards,

AJ (alan Schwartz)

------------

Leslie,

I don't have a super small laptop because none provided what I wanted in
the laptop, meaning there were external drives, peripherals, etc.  Be
sure to check if the CD/DVD drive is internal.  I found that many
didn't, and I'd have to carry that around with me, too....didn't seem to
make sense for me.  If you don't need some of those peripherals, then
they are probably awesome.

All should come with wireless and most companies should have good
battery life these days.  I've had great luck with my Dell notebooks,
especially with the drop insurance (yes I dropped mine and cracked the
mother board and hard drive....all replaced free with the insurance, it
was worth it).

Good luck!

_______________________________________

David P. Henry

President

TeleNoticias / NovoMedia

212-683-6000

917-860-2468 (cell)

david at telenoticiasusa.com

www.telenoticiasusa.com <http://www.telenoticiasusa.com/>

www.novomediausa.com <http://www.novomediausa.com/>

----------------------

Look at Vaio VGN TXN27N   very small...does everything....

Dr. Dan Schaefer PhD [dan at danschaeferphd.com]

I have an IBM Thinkpad.  It's 13" and 3 lbs and I love it.  The CD/DVD
drive is detachable so I only put it on when I need it.  I really can't
say enough good things about it.

Jane B. Jacobs
Klein Zelman Rothermel LLP
485 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022
212 935 6020
fax: 212 753 8101
Cell: 646 413 2275
jbjacobs at kleinzelman.com <mailto:jbjacobs at kleinzelman.com>

------------------------------------

Kenneth Jewell [kjewell at MOSESSINGER.COM]

go for the ibm t-series. i've had two and love them.  they are very
durable and powerful, have long battery life and contain all the
features i've needed. the current machine i have, a t-60, weighs around
5.7 lbs and has a 15 inch screen.

fyi - you can find your best price on cnet.com.

please let me know if you have any questions.  good luck!

------------------------------------

I am always on the move whether it be in court or to meetings.  I have a
Sony Vaio.  Weight 2.7 lbs. I need to be wireless.   I bought a Sprint
wireless card which is internal so I do not have to carry an extra card
with me.  This is the way to go.  As far as the computer, it takes too
long to load but I understand that this is because of Micosoft's new
programs and not Sony. During the last five years I have only used Sony
so I have nothing to compare it to.  I understand that HP also makes a
good laptop.   Whatever is bought, I highly recommend a larger battery.

Mine is heavier than I would like it to be.  I think the battery has
about a two hour life.  It has all of the drives.  I think your price
point would be anywhere from$1,000-$2,000.

 I have a Sony Vaio.  Sony is generally more expensive.  Also as a rule,
the lighter the weight the more costly.  I have rarely operated on
battery because there is usually a place to plug in.  I've been thinking
the next time, I'll take a look at Apple (also costly but maybe worth
it).

Michael Appell
127 East 59th Street, 3rd floor

Fax 212-644-4968

      If you want something very small, lightweight & functional, check
out the Thinkpad X61.

      Most of the baby laptops do not come with an internal CDROM drive
to save 0.5lb weight.

      Here's the page at lenovo.com to configure your own
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/c
atalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B7
9B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=D670E9977F234D8197E1A6952DF8E9DF

      They come in 2 base models -

Wifi Wireless

Wifi + Verizon or Wifi + Cingular networks.

      Oh yeah, get it with Windows XP, not Vista.

-- Raj

Rajesh Goel, CISSP

cell (917) 685-7731

CTO: Brainlink International, Inc.

"IT Crisis Management and Solutions"

-----

leslie

i have a sony vaio

i like it becase it is small and light

works well

i do alot of presentations and the plug in for the cable to the
projector is poor

a consideration if you do alot of presentations

unless the new version is better - check to see if you can screw in the
cable to the laptop

my boot up time is slow - due to my scanning devices - not sure if it is
a vaio issue

Vincent russo

Leslie Ann Berkoff, Esq.
Moritt Hock Hamroff & Horowitz LLP
400 Garden City Plaza
Garden City, NY 11530
Phone: 516-873-2000
Fax: 516-873-2010
E-Mail: lberkoff at moritthock.com

 http://www.moritthock.com/

 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

 This email and the information contained herein and attachments hereto
are legally privileged and confidential information intended only for
the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this
email is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
forwarding, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and/or
its attachments, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents
thereof, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the email and any
attachments and destroy any tangible manifestation thereof. Thank you.

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice
Before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained herein is
not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer for
the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the
taxpayer.