[Fredslist] Promotion - IMMIGRATION NEWS UPDATE- March 5, 2007

Brian Weiss bweiss at ggw.com
Fri Mar 9 18:19:47 EST 2007

IMMIGRATION NEWS UPDATE- March 5, 2007

H-1B VISA PETITIONS

As mentioned in previous Immigration News Updates, we strongly recommend
filing your new H-1B petitions (for employment that will commence on October
1, 2007) as close to April 1, 2007 as possible. This recommendation applies
also to those visa petitions for recent US graduates with Master's Degrees
although visa numbers for these applicants will probably be available for a
longer period of time. If you are considering sponsoring someone for a new
H-1B visa, please contact us immediately. This urgency regarding the April
1, 2007 does not apply to those employers or prospective employees who are
exempt from the quota, or who already possess H-1 visa status.

GG&W LAUNCHES NEW, IMPROVED WEBSITE

Please visit our new website at www.ggw.com.  Among the features you will
find are:

1.    "News Alerts"- These will appear as soon as we receive information
concerning important changes that occur in our U.S. immigration law. These
will cover a wider range of subjects than our "Immigration News Updates"
which are limited to the specific interests of our corporate clients.

2.    Useful Resources Links to most of the websites of various governmental
agencies and other sources providing useful information about US
immigration.

3.    Detailed information about the various non-immigrant visas

4.    Detailed information about the various procedures to apply for
immigrant visas (green cards)

5.    A search feature to allow you to easily locate information contained
on our website including access to back issues of Immigration News Update.

Please let us know if you'd like us to include other subjects or if you have
suggestions as to how we can make our website more helpful to you.

USCIS PROPOSED FEE INCREASES

The USCIS recently published a proposed rule to drastically increase their
fees for immigration and naturalization applications and petitions. As
usual, their justification for the increases is that it will bring improved
service but as we noted with previous increases, little improvement in
service has in fact occurred. This is perhaps best evidenced by the
expansion and increased use by their customers of their premium processing
alternative whereby for an additional fee of $1,000, beyond the ever
increasing fees, prompt service can actually be obtained.

Brian S. Weiss, Esq.

Garganigo, Goldsmith & Weiss

14 Penn Plaza, Suite 1020

New York, New York 10122