[Fredslist] Gotham/Baruch College Mentoring Program

Michaelappell at aol.com Michaelappell at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 17:51:34 EDT 2007

Hello Gotham:

A large thank you to all who indicated early support for our soon to be
launched Gotham/Baruch College Mentoring Program.  We look  forward to your
participation.

For the rest of us, there is a benefit not to be overlooked.  While it  is
better to give than to receive, the program will put you in contact with
ahighly motivated young student who may someday become an asset to your  company.

Read below about a few of the recent honors achieved by Baruch  Students.

Michael Appell
127 East 59th Street, 3rd floor
New York, NY  10022

212-427-6886
Fax 212-644-4968

Baruch Student Honors
_Baruch  Scholars Achieve Highest Honors: Two Awarded Fulbright
Scholarships_ (http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/second_fulbright_spring07.htm)
In terms of prestige, being awarded a Fulbright  Fellowship is akin to
winning an Academy Award. It is the ultimate recognition  of accomplishment-and
promise. It's a benchmark that shows that a student (and  his or her college) has
reached the highest level of academic achievement. And  though our president,
Kathleen Waldron, was a Fulbright scholar, never, in its  long history, has
Baruch College produced an undergraduate Fulbright  winner-until this year.
_Joselyn  Muhleisen ('07)_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/spring_07_senior_stories.htm)  was the first to get the great news. Joselyn, who just  earned
her BS in the School of Public Affairs, will take her Fulbright to the  College
of Europe in Bruges, Belgium, where she will work toward a master's  degree
in European international relations and diplomacy. Joselyn is a graduate  of
St. Savior's High School in Brooklyn. At Baruch she immersed herself in her
classes while also taking every opportunity to travel. During her sophomore
year, she went to Italy to learn the language. Other trips followed:  Switzerland,
Romania, Paris, Mexico. In the Spring of 2006, Joselyn took a  semester off
to accept an internship in the State Department's Bureau of  European Affairs
in Washington D.C. This summer, prior to taking up her  Fulbright in Bruges,
she will use her Colin Powell Fellowship to learn more  about the European Union
in Brussels.
The euphoria over Joselyn's award had barely subsided when more good news
reached the College. Baruch had another Fulbright winner, this one a graduate
student. _Christopher  Bell_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/second_fulbright_spring07.htm) , a 29-year-old MPA candidate with a BA from NYU and a deepening
 interest in post-Soviet Eastern Europe, has also won a Fulbright.
Christopher  will travel to Kiev in the Ukraine to study how local government
authorities are  going about the business of spending revenues, now that all fiscal
policies are  no longer directed from above. Raised in Cooperstown, New York,
Christopher came  to Baruch's School of Public Affairs in 2005. Prior to enrolling
at SPA, he  spent 15 months in Russia teaching English and learning Russian.
To put himself  through graduate school, Christopher worked at various jobs,
including as a  driver to U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner. Along the way, he
was also awarded a  scholarship from the New York S tate Government Financial
Officers' Association.  As someone who is committed to public service-whether
locally, in New York City,  or in Eastern European- Christopher is very pleased
that he chose Baruch College  for his graduate work. "I like the mission of
CUNY. It's been a really good fit  for me," he says.
_Baruch Undergrads Win  National Academic Awards_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/ahaa2007.htm)
Three Baruch College undergraduates  were recognized for their academic
achievement by a nationally renowned  organization that provides training to future
nonprofit professionals. Eila  Voloshen, a sophomore majoring in public
affairs and Sabine Gbetoho, a junior  majoring in public affairs, will each receive
a $1,000 award for her winning  application to the American Humanics Academic
Awards Program for the 2007-2008  academic year. A third Baruch student, Rosa
Cruz, a junior majoring in public  affairs, received an honorable mention.
American Humanics is a national alliance of over 75 colleges and universities
 and more than 50 nonprofit organizations that prepares and certifies college
 students for careers in youth and human service agencies.
The Baruch student winners were among 20 nationally. Each of the winners has
a 3.0 or higher GPA and wrote an essay on why he or she should receive this
award. Professor Stan Altman, who initiated the relationship between Baruch
and  American Humanics and is also a former dean of Baruch's School of Public
Affairs, noted, "Our students have done it again! This is another example of
how  well they measure up to their peers at other colleges and universities."
_More  Honors for Baruch Students: Three Earn Stackhouse  Scholarships
_ (http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/stackhouse_scholars_2007.htm) Three Baruch
students have been awarded  scholarships in honor of Jan Stackhouse, a labor
leader, CUNY employee, and  executive in the Service Employees International
Union (SEIU) 1199. The  students, Vikki Basilico ('09), Roberta Ann Murphy
('09), and Felicia  Rickett-Samuels ('08), are all pursuing degrees in the Zicklin
School of  Business Master of Science in Industrial and Labor Relations
(MSILR)  Program.
"We are happy to be helping three students achieve their goals of helping
others," said Professor Richard Kopelman, academic director of the MSILR
Program. "These students are all deserving, and each has found a unique way of
helping a different constituency."
Vikki Basilico is the director of human resources at the Hetrick-Martin
Institute, a nonprofit organization that provides programs that help at-risk
youth. Felicia Rickett-Samuels is working at a law firm and is on the board and
fundraising committee for the CUNY Graduate Center's College and Community
Scholarship. Roberta Ann Murphy has a history of crusading for nurses' rights
and is currently a representative for the New York State Nurses Association,
where she serves 2,700 nurses.
The Stackhouse Scholarship is the first scholarship named for a woman at
Baruch College's Zicklin School of Business. Jan Stackhouse had a long history
of supporting the labor movement as well as entrepreneurs and employee stock
ownership companies. The scholarships continue Jan's interest in worker
advocacy  and social economics, labor leadership, and economic development.
_Baruch Team Wins  Regional Advertising Competition_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/aafnsac2007.htm)
CHAOS! Advertising, the Baruch  College team competing in the American
Advertising Federation's annual National  Student Advertising Competition (NSAC)
placed ahead of 11 other colleges to win  its regional district, a first for the
College. Made up of 14 Baruch marketing  students, the team faced direct
competition from colleges and universities such  as FIT, Pace, and Hofstra. Baruch
was the venue for the event, which took place  in late April.
"The dedication, tenacity, creativity, and insight of these students is
equivalent to many of the professionals I have worked with during my 30 years in
advertising," said team advisor Bill Heath, a professor of marketing at
Baruch's  Zicklin School of Business.
Each year, a corporate sponsor provides a case study outlining the history of
 its product and its current, real-world advertising situation. Students must
 research the product and its competition, identify potential problem areas,
and  devise a completely integrated communications campaign, which students
then  pitch to a panel of judges. This year the product was Coca-Cola Classic.
The  team's winning strategy was to make Coca-Cola Classic more relevant to the
13-  to 24-year-old multicultural generation by positioning Coke as young and
 refreshing. The judges were especially impressed with the level of marketing
 integration the campaign offered.
"I am very thrilled that our team won this nationally renowned competition
and that Baruch was the site of their victory," said Baruch College President
Kathleen Waldron. "I know that the students will benefit greatly from this
experience."
"In my mind, winning NSAC is the equivalent of winning a championship in any
Division I Sports competition," said team member Juan Cano. "I hope our
regional  NSAC triumph is the beginning of a Baruch legacy."
_Baruch Interns Join  National Program to Train on Wasserman Trading Floor_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/seo2007.htm)
Six Baruch  students have been admitted to the Sales & Trading and Asset
Management  Internship Program by the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO)
Career  Program. Established in 1980, the _SEO Career Program_
(http://www.seo-usa.org/default.asp)  helps  high-achieving students of color reach their
career goals by providing  internships in challenging fields, including
information technology, corporate  law, asset management, and philanthropy.
This year the program recruited a total of 434 top minority students into
their summer internship program from 123 different universities across the U.S.
and Puerto Rico. Seventy-five of them, including Baruch students Ismolia
Alli-Balogun, Gilbert Bouhana, Maria Giraldo, Kenneth Ho, Ariyanto Jahja, and
Darren Smith, recently attended a three-day training event at the _Wasserman
Trading Floor  / Subotnick Financial Services Center_
(http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/centers/subotnick) .
"Baruch has been an invaluable part of the success of our sales and trading
program at SEO," said William Goodloe, president and chief executive of SEO.
Major financial services firms in New York City participate in the program by
hosting interns. Over 80 percent of interns later receive full-time job
offers  from their host company or partner firms. The full-time job offer rate for
sales  and trading interns increased from 60 to 70 percent since Baruch first
teamed  with SEO to provide training in 2005.
_Two  Baruch Graduates Earn Presidential Management Fellowships_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/SPA_graduate_management_fellow.htm)
The  honors just keep coming for Baruch College students and graduates. This
spring,  _Lori  Bianchet (MPA '07)_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/PMF_winner_bianchet_spring_07.htm)  and _Heather  Reagan (MPA '07)_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/news/SPA_graduate_management_fellow.htm)  were awarded Presidential
Management Fellowships. The  30-year-old Presidential Management Fellowships
(PMF) program places outstanding  graduate students with an interest in public
service careers in a variety of  managerial positions in federal agencies. Lori
and Heather will join colleagues  from around the nation to begin the elite
two-year training program this  summer.
Lori will work as a budget analyst on the Budget Formulation Team of the
National Parks Service, a relatively smooth transition for her, since she is
currently a budget analyst for Little Flower Children and Family Services of New
York in Brooklyn. Heather took a job with the Food and Drug Administration's
Office of Regulatory Affairs, within the Office of Resource Management.
Heather,  who begins working as a management analyst in June, says "Most of my
interests  lie in the field of health, and I was also looking for a place where I
could  develop skills to become a senior manager."
The intensely competitive management development program attracts more than
3,000 applicants each year. Successful applicants receive a two-year
appointment  within a federal agency chosen from a shortlist of participating offices.
Established in 1977, the Presidential Management Fellowship gives candidates
with graduate degrees in a variety of fields an opportunity to gain
accelerated  managerial experience within public policy agencies. Following their
initial  two-year appointment, fellows usually have the option to continue their
position  as full-time staff members.
_Baruch Senior  Receives Awards to Study in Japan_
(http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/freemanasia2007.htm)
Mario Rivera, a Baruch  College senior studying international politics, is
the recipient of a Freeman  Award for Study in Asia (_Freeman-ASIA_
(http://www.iie.org/programs/freeman-asia/) ) of $7,000.  Through the study abroad
program, he will enroll in the Japan Studies Program at  Nagasaki University in Japan
for the 2007-2008 academic year. Rivera has also  received a _C.V.  Starr
Study Abroad Fellowship_
(http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/centers/weissman/scholarships.html)  for $4,000. The Starr fellowship awards  provide merit and
need-based financial assistance to Baruch College students who  wish to study abroad
for one or more semesters. The C.V. Starr scholarship fund  is made possible
by a generous grant from the C.V. Starr Foundation and is  administered by
Baruch's Weissman Center for International Business.
The _Baruch  College Study Abroad Office_
(http://zicklin.baruch.cuny.edu/centers/weissman/study-abroad/index.html)  is where Rivera began his journey to
Japan.  After learning about the many study abroad options Baruch offers, he
applied to  several programs. Rivera's interest in East Asia was first sparked
while serving  in the U.S. Army during 2003-2004, where he studied Chinese and
paid a visit to  Taiwan.
"The unique thing about Freeman-ASIA is that they really encourage language
learning in Asia," Rivera explains. "My stay with a host family in Japan will
allow me to immerse myself in the local culture and language, and I know that
 will be a great experience."
Freeman-ASIA award recipients are expected to share their experiences with
their home campuses to encourage study abroad in East and Southeast Asia by
others. Rivera will make a presentation on his Japanese experience when he
returns, complete with Q&A and a  slideshow.