[Fredslist] Re: Hospice Care

JADLER115 at aol.com JADLER115 at aol.com
Fri Jan 19 09:23:29 EST 2007

Can anyone out there help my friend whose note to me is below?  Does anyone
know the difference between hospice care and nursing home care?

It is for Florida (Miami). The issue is really whether mom would be better
off at hospice than at nursing home. At the Jewish Home for the Aged where she
is now they have a hospice, but apparently you are not a candidate if you are
on dialysis like she is or even on a vent (although they will make an exemption
for the vent). WE don’t know if that is a general rule everywhere or just
there. I think of hospice as a place where people who have cancer or terminal
illness go when they need pain meds to be made comfortable but receiving no ther
treatment. Gay is receiving dialysis and is on tube feeding along with vent. I’
m not sure what the difference is between a hospice and nursing home in her
situation so that’s what we’re working on researching. If you know of anyone
who might be able to answer some of these questions, then I’d love your help.
 Thanks in advance
Janet
Janet Adler Realty, Ltd.
www.janetadlerrealty.com