[Fredslist] revision of Fred's List request: Kladno (Prague) Research

Ellin Yassky medici18 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 15:01:45 EST 2007

I'm doing research on a small, coal-mining town a few miles west of Prague
known as KLADNO. This is one of the many towns that once boasted a
large Jewish population before the devastation of the Nazis. I will be
going to Prague and Kladno in a few days to continue my on-site research. My research surrounds one of the 5 Torahs that belonged to the Kladno Jewish Synagogue before 1939. These Torahs were hidden in the basement walls of the synagogue from 1939 (which became the home of the Hussite Church in 1939 at the bequest of the town's Jews) until the 1960's when they were subsequently sent to Prague and then on to England as part of the Czech Memorial Scrolls  Scroll Project.  Four of these scrolls are now housed in synagogues in the United States, one of them being in my schul in Fairfield, CT. I am researching the Kladno Jewish community as a way to learn more about this very precious object.

If
anyone has any family contacts who once lived in this town, or is
related to anyone with any stories or photographs specific to the town,
please let me know. I'll be accessing my email while in the Czech Republic.

Many thanks,

Ellin

Ellin Yassky, Ph.D.
Medici Editorial Services, LLC