[Fredslist] Q re practices/ethics of auto mechanics

IrisWolinsky at aol.com IrisWolinsky at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 16:45:41 EDT 2007

Hello Gothamites,

     I wonder if anyone knows or has opinions as to the  following from a
legal standpoint, custom in the industry, ethical view,  personal experience or
whatever - - -

    1.  Do auto mechanics in NYC charge tax on  labor?  I thought tax was
only on parts, but this one guy says they are  required to by the DMV (?) (or
maybe he meant some other agency )

    2.  Are they required to get your approval in  advance before charging
you their hourly labor rate to look over your car  and determine what's needed?

      I got a quote for a sizeable job which I  now believe is not necessary,
except for maybe only a small portion of it,  which costs just 20% of the big
job.  But in their "requote"  they're still including the 1 hour to check out
the car they listed in their  original quote - which they never advised me of
in advance, (bringing the  requote to 35-40% of the big job).  That is
particularly annoying if  the bigger job is not needed.  They say they also looked
the  car over generally to make sure no repairs in other areas were  looming,
but I'm sure that was quite brief, not like a diagnostic  you'd get when
considering a purchase.

   If any of you, lawyers or not, know of any laws governing  these
practices, or the agencies that oversee this industry, that would be  great.  I have to
get my car back from these guys asap, and want to pay the  right price for
whatever they might do without getting ripped off,  obviously.

   Thank you very  much!

Iris

Iris Wolinsky
Attorney Arbitrator Mediator