[Fredslist] Mentoring ROI - Results of a study

Phyllis Weiss Haserot pwhaserot at pdcounsel.com
Thu Aug 9 23:14:46 EDT 2007

Since mentoring is a large element of Gotham's offerings and our work and avocation, I thought you would be interested in the results of a case study as described below.

Arguing for continuing mentoring efforts in organizations despite increased mobility of personnel, Peter Cappelli and some other Wharton (School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania) management professors stated that mentoring programs retain talented workers and "are a vital part of corporate social networking."

In an article in Knowledge at Wharton called "Workplace Loyalties Change, but the Value of Mentoring Doesn't, they cite a study of mentoring at Sun Microsystems by Gartner, a research firm in Connecticut, of over 1,000 workers over a five year period. The study took into account employee salary grade, merit increase in salary and job performance rating. Here are some of the results:

*  Salary-grade change: 25% of employees enrolled in the mentoring program; 5% of non-participants.

*  Mentors were promoted 6 times more than people not in the program; mentees were promoted 5 times more than non-participants in the program.

For more results, go to www.nextgeneration-nextdestination.com

Phyllis

Phyllis Weiss Haserot
Practice Development Counsel
Consulting/Coach to the Next Generation
Author of "The Rainmaking Machine: Marketing Planning, Strategy and Management"

* Next Generation, Next Destination*
* Succeed in Your Own Personal Style *

Voice:: 212-593-1549
Fax:      212-980-7940