[Fredslist] "Survivor" Poll Response

Michael Millis Michael_Millis at msn.com
Thu Sep 7 06:26:19 EDT 2006

Hello along the network,

I hope everyone had fun over the Labor Day weekend.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to my posting about the format for the
new season of "Survivor," which will pit teams of white, African-American, Hispanic,
and Asian contestants against each other. I believe the more than thirty responses that
came in for almost a full week after the posting must qualify as some sort of Fredslist
record. I certainly am not aware of any other posting that inspired as much online
conversation between Gotham members as my poll on "Survivor" did.

The response among Gotham members to CBS' little "social experiment," as the network
terms it, has been overwhelmingly negative. In fact, many responses expressed outrage
at the prospect of the concept being put on the air, seeing it as being divisive and a crass
grab for ratings. Some thought that I did not have my facts straight--that I was reporting
a sick joke that would never see the light of television air waves. But I am sure that, by
now, just about everyone has seen the promos for the racial divide season of "Survivor,"
which will debut on CBS in exactly one week.

However, there were a few who responded who did not see what the big deal was. One
response asked how dividing this season's "Survivor" contestants along racial lines is all
that different from dividing athletes competing in the Summer or Winter Olympic Games
by nations. Another respondent pointed out that different ethnic groups naturally
segregate themselves in neighborhoods, in the workplace, and at school. So, why all the
fuss over CBS purposely segregating several ethnic groups to play a television game
show?

The fuss lies in the context. All of us, in one manner or another, have borne witness to the
inequities, the fear, the violence that has marked the history of race relations in the United
States. Some of us have been directly victimized by discrimination. The pictures are ugly,
distressing, heartbreaking. With this as the backdrop, it is no wonder the announcement
that a television network was about to air a show where contestants were to be divided
along racial lines to compete for cash and prizes would illicit such a visceral and
monumentally adverse response. To most, this stunt casting to pull in television ratings
trivializes the long struggle to foster harmony and fairness between ethnic groups in the
United States.

Yes, Olympic athletes compete divided along national lines. But the Olympic motto is
Citius, Altius, Fortius, which is Latin for Swifter, Higher, Stronger. In founding the
modern Olympic Games in 1894, Baron Pierre de Coubertin said, "The most important
thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part..."

The "Survivor" motto is Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. The whole idea is to win. If a player
has to lie, manipulate, and subvert to do so, well, so be it. The context for competition
in "Survivor" is very different from what the context is in the Olympic Games.

Should you write a letter to CBS to express displeasure over the new "Survivor" format?
Yes, if you are so moved to do so. Your single letter might seem to be insignificant when
compared to the executive bureaucratic behemoth that is a television network. But you
never know. Who could have imagined what would result from the act of a single black
woman refusing to give up her seat to a white passenger on a bus?

And keep in mind how television works. If CBS gets away with its racial divide
"Survivor" format relatively unscathed and pulls in decent ratings, it is more than likely
that other networks will start to formulate copycat shows or copycat formats for shows
already on the air. If you do not feel this type of programming is in the best interest of
the viewing public, making your opinion known would not be a bad idea. Take heart in
General Motors announcing last Thursday that the company has decided to pull its
advertising from "Survivor."

The new season of "Survivor" will debut next Thursday, September 14th. Ironically, my
organization, Black Public Relations Society-New York, will be holding its opening
membership mixer for the 2006/2007 season on the same evening, from 6:00 PM -
8:00 PM at the offices of Burson-Marsteller Public Relations, 230 Park Avenue South
(entrance on East 19th Street).

As a number of Gotham members who have become members of BPRS-NY know, part
of our method of promoting racial diversity is to be racially diverse ourselves. As well as
African-American members, BPRS-NY has white members, Hispanic members, and
Asian members--working together to bring about greater, more equal opportunity for all in
the marketplace. One visitor to our group described the combination of energies as being
"electric." But I suppose we won't be pulling in any big television ratings this season.

Again, thanks very much for your response, Gotham. If you are interested in dropping
by for the BPRS-NY membership mixer next Thursday, admission is $10 for members,
$20 for non-members. It will be an excellent networking opportunity. We will be
honoring founding officers of our now 16-year-old organization and announcing
programming for our new season, including details about our very special "Sweet 16"
party, which will take place next month. Refreshments will be served. More information
about BPRS-NY can be found at www.bprsny.org<http://www.bprsny.org/>.

Have a great day today.

Hope to see you at Burson-Marsteller next Thursday evening.

All the very best for continued success.

Mike Millis
Gotham Hispanic Group

Black Public Relations Society-New York Board of Directors
Vice President, Special Events

MX2 MEDIA
Special Events Design, Production, and Coordination

"Making Exciting Things Happen."

(718) 434-7879