[Fredslist] The Marathon

JanPresent at aol.com JanPresent at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 11:06:28 EST 2006

Advice from a marathoner who ran NY for the first time at the age of  57.

Enjoy it, you are not going to win it.
Start your stopwatch when you cross the starting line, not at the gun. It
can take forever until you actually get across that line.
Don't come out too fast, the SI bridge is an slight uphill, The 59th street
hill is a terrible surprise.
Listen to the ethnic music of all the neighborhoods you pass  through
New Yorkers are the best cheering squad in the world. They will  put wings on
your feet
They will be cheering you on no matter what time you finish.
Accept the water and the oranges along the way
Pee off the 59th Street Bridge  ( I didn't but my husband did and said  it
was fun)
Wear a tee shirt that makes people call out your name, it feels  great.
Have your family stationed at the bottom of the 72nd street hill, they  won't
miss you there.
Watch out for leg cramps on that long downhill.

I trained for it and completed it as the most life affirming  thing I could
do post breast cancer. It worked.

Have a GREAT time.

JP