[Fredslist] The Wired Family: tentative date of March 21

Jennifer T. Naylor naylorjt at optonline.net
Tue Feb 14 11:43:02 EST 2006

Greetings, Gotham:

Tuesday March 21 is the tentative date for our proposed forum on
parenting in the wild and woolley Internet world of chat rooms, instant
messaging, online dating and social networking sites.

Please RSVP with me to help gauge interest and determine what is the
best venue for the group.

To reiterate, this is a proposed forum on parenting in our wired world.

A recent WSJ feature "Big Mother is Watching You" coupled with a
friend's horror at catching her 12-year old kids engaged in some chat
room horseplay prompted me to conceive a forum to bring parents,
ethicists and technologists together for a discussion on the technical,
ethical and legal implications of parenting our children in a playground
without boundaries playing with playmates without faces and context.

Our Gotham panel features technology and security expert Raj Goel, Susan
Pickman specializing in online fraud and Internet predations, and Dr.
Andrea Gould, psychologist and family therapist.

Some of the topics our panelists will cover are:

1. the monitoring technology options including how to set permissions on
popular portals like AOL

2. the sort of activities and scams kids might fall prey to including
pornography, stalking, social engineering to get personal info, spyware
implants.

3. why kids would be attracted to these activities, what kind of kids
are at risk, what are the warning signs (if any) and how to talk to kids
about the dangers without sounding patronizing.

Regards,

Jennifer Naylor
Gotham Womens LI
tel.: 516.656.3389