[Fredslist] responses- Holiday Tipping

Rebecca Selvenis selvenisr at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 10:26:24 EST 2006

Thank you to those who responded re: holiday tips.  But there were more
questions than responses- I received more summary requests than advice from
the group!  (Summary below).  My question was really about actual amounts,
but I think that varies greatly based on financial ability.

In addition, I spoke to a neighbor who has lived in the building for 23
years.  She said she does not tip painters since she is responsible for the
inside of her apartment and there have not been any major painting projects
in the builiding's general areas this year.  She has a daughter in college
and gave $20 to each desk attendant this year, and $40 to the super, which
she said is a bit more modest this year for her.  She does not vary amounts
for better service.  She used to also give baked treats and little toys for
the super's kids (his wife is also a desk attendant) but has no time this
year.  She said they are all appreciative of anything so I should do what I
feel comfortable giving based on ability.

I personally decided to vary amounts based on service, but not vastly.  I
also gave little tips during my move-in and for extremely helpful incidents.

I have also heard many times that for hairdressers, manicurists and
housekeepers (and other similar service providers) that an appropriate tip
is the cost of one service but can vary based on numbers of years you've
used them.

Fredslist replies:
While it's always nice to spread Holiday cheer and generosity, the ones that
you don't interact with may be even more important to 'tip'.  When you do
need one of the people you don't see/know, remember that also don't know
you. This is a way for them to 'know' you.

Channel 2 TV said Doormen-$20-$100 and $50 average: Housekeeper-one week.
See article in Real Simple Magazine.

I would give me to those who have given me more personal service, and
definitely would not tip the painters.

This is an issue indeed.....I think that one should tip for good service
provided, if one interacts with a person or not. But I tip during the year
to the ones that provide good direct services to me so that the discrepancy
at year end's tip is not so big.