[Fredslist] Fashion Quick Tips for Women & Men from Susan Sommers

Susan Sommers 877-4963 (212) susan at dresszing.com
Fri Sep 30 15:00:01 EDT 2005

  Welcome to the DressZing tip sheet, designed to help empower you
through
your clothes by showing you new ways of making your dress zing!

***
SHIRTING THE ISSUE
***
Whether or not you live in a state where there is a change of seasons,
deciding what to wear right now, as we move into fall, could be a
concern.
White shirts are a great solution.

I love white shirts. They always look fresh and clean. They’re
fashionable
year round and there’s a style for every body—and occasion. Right now, I
have my eye on a two white numbers: one with Edwardian styling and lace
insets, and another with ruffles around the neckline, like the photo at
left. They soften a suit and really look both romantic and timely with a
blazer and jeans.

Then there’s the updated classic white shirt, which is also the most
versatile. It resembles a men’s shirt but is shorter, contoured and,
best,
in stretch cotton. I also prefer French cuffs. I wear this silhouette
under
a suit jacket and fill in the neckline with several strands of short
pearls, black beads or a vintage locket. Or I take a small scarf and tie
it around my throat knotting the ends and tucking them into the neckline
of the shirt (see my website for a photo).  And I finish with my vintage
cufflinks.

Sometimes I wear this shirt over a lace-edged white camisole, leaving
the
top four or five buttons open so that a little lace peeks out. Often,
I’ll
top the shirt-over-cami with a V-neck cardigan buttoned over a pleated
skirt.  I vary the look by knotting the shirt at my waist and leaving
the
cardigan open. In this case, I like long pearls or beads that cascade
over
the lace-rimmed camisole.

An oversized white cotton shirt is another favorite; it gives a
man-tailored edge to jeans. Try layering one over a snug white tee, as I
do, and buttoning just the bottom buttons. You can also wear it totally
unbuttoned as if it was a jacket or even knot the ends at your hips.

FOR THE GUYS: I used to think that white shirts were really boring for
men,
but now I like them, especially when worn with a navy or gray suit and
deep, jewel-toned or a whimsical patterned tie. I also think they look
very hip over a white tee shirt and under a blazer with jeans. For a
little variety, I recommend a white-on-white striped shirt, which offers
textural interest.

If you found this tipsheet useful, sign up to receive one every other
week at
www.dresszing.com

Susan Sommers
Fashion and business comportment coach