[Fredslist] Out of the Box - Non Traditional Mentoring

Lisa Krohn lisa at lisakrohnllc.com
Mon Sep 26 14:44:17 EDT 2005

Dear Fellow Gothamites:

I am writing to all of you to share an unusually aggressive and successful
mentoring relationship.  One that I enjoy with Gotham’s own Eric J. Miller
of Carnegie Associates Ltd.  I hope that the following will inspire you to
step outside of your comfort zone and dare to seek out someone who is more
experienced and wise in an area of your life that needs changes and results.
I can assure you it was not easy for me or my mentor.  While always
interesting and challenging, at times the process was frustrating and often
filled with exasperating gasps of disbelief in my lack of business acumen.
Well, Eric hung in there and provided me with precisely the tools and
verbiage that I needed to make the savviest deal of my entire career.
Sorry, I do not think he is available to take on any more protégés, but my
results with him were strikingly tangible.  I felt compelled to share it
with the group that was responsible for introducing us.

The point is that my good news may be an example for your next major
success.

Seek out a mentor that is your total opposite.  Allow yourself to be as
vulnerable and free of ego as possible.  Let yourself completely trust the
other person.  They are their to give to you all that they have.  Don’t be
defensive.  Push yourself and delve deep.   Allow yourself the privilege of
admitting what you are doing may be wrong and or where you are weak.  I can
assure you this will only make you stronger in every way.  After hard work
(and several 7:15 breakfast appointments) Much of what Eric taught me seeped
in and was incorporated into my natural thought process.  I was then able to
take this knowledge and make it uniquely my own which was the key to my
success.

Although Eric provides insurance solutions for businesses, retirement, and
estates, and I am a consulting COO (Chief Organizational Officer) for
overwhelmed executives and business owners, we found tremendous value in
working together.  I strongly recommend you seek out a mentoring
relationship and can only hope you’ve enjoy the same level of benefit I
have.

Thanks Gotham!

Lisa Krohn

917.856.1234