[Fredslist] Legal advice desperately needed

JanPresent at aol.com JanPresent at aol.com
Sat May 7 12:08:30 EDT 2005

We are seeking an attorney who can guide this wonderful, caring,  Leadership
High School mentor to help her student stay in this country. I  consider this
quite a desperate need and time is short. The mentor is  Sherri Jean Katz, and
her email is _sjkatz at nyc.rr.com_ (mailto:sjkatz at nyc.rr.com) . Please  reply
to her directly and be kind enough to cc me at _janpresent at aol.com_
(mailto:janpresent at aol.com) . I need  to add that this would have be from the heart,
there is no money to pay legal  fees.

Here is Fatema's story

Fatema's parents are bringing her back to Bangledesh possibly for  two weeks
(although she isn't quite sure) this TUESDAY, and  she indicated that she
doesn't want to go and that it involves  the marriage issue. Her family has
arranged a marriage for her that she is  opposed to. She didn't tell me completely
what is going on yet (I think she  couldn't talk freely on the phone because
family was around), but this is what I  have gathered from what she said and how
she answered the 'yes' 'no' questions I  asked. She's completely frightened
and doesn't know what to do. I'm meeting her  at 9 AM tomorrow. She told her
parents I am giving her SAT assignments  since her test is the week she is
scheduled to come back (so they let her  come), but really she has asked me to help
her find a way out of what  is going on -- and I honestly don't know what
resources are open to  her. I'm calling all of my lawyer friends for advice and
I'll check the Internet  for ideas. I can be reached on my cell phone at
917-446-4745.  Sherri

PS Fatema turned 18 recently and has a green  card.