[Fredslist] Quintessential Principle of Greatness Newsletter for March 2005

Cynthia Brown cynthia at globaldestinationsinc.com
Wed Mar 23 05:56:53 EST 2005

Greatness Awaits. Or Does it? - Future Works® Gazette, March 2005Dear Gothamnites,

I would like to share with you Karen Sands' March 2005 newsletter "Quintessential Principle of Greatness" .

Thanks.

Cynthia Brown
Diversity Group

                  March 2005
                  Vol. I, Issue 3
                  Published Monthly

                  Send us your preferred email address

                  Manage your subscription.

                  Sign me up
                  for this e-zine!

            Send your questions directly to the Greatness Coach!

                  Your Gazette arrived amidst the chaos of moving day. I carefully saved it until later that evening when I dropped down into the depths of your writing. What a gift! Like a favorite book, I needed to lay it aside for awhile and allow all the richness to fill me. Thank you for such deep inspiration-which couldn't have come at a better time.
                  - Pamela Slocomb
                  The Woodlands, TX

            Greatness Awaits!
            Subscribe to the Future Works® GazetteSM

            Professional development and personal growth
            have never been more accessible!

            Karen's Quintessential Principle of Greatness
            for March, 2005

            Greatness Awaits. Or does it?
                        Greatness won't come your way. You have to reach for it.
                        - Beer Company Winter 2005

                  The greatness buzz. It's everywhere. Covey. Commercials. Coachville.
                  If Stephen Covey, Dave Buck, Jim Warner and I are championing greatness, then isn't it time you do too?

                  Clearly there's a new meme moving through our consciousness. It's gaining momentum. Will you be its "tipping point" or be left behind?

                  It's hard to think about greatness in the face of so many threats at our borders and in our very own space in time. Besieged by bad news, feeling squeezed in every way, and witnessing rampant corruption and falling icons, it's easy to get caught up in our day planners and I-pods. We just get too busy doing our life and being successful to give greatness more than a cursory glance.

                  Besides it's gotten harder and harder to push away our everyday stressors. No matter what, we still have to pay the rent or mortgage, make payroll, manage braces and tuition, and all the rest. And let's not forget we still want to grab a vacation in Costa Rica or Mexico. With time accelerated, we don't want to make waves. Only a short time 'til the day ends, vacation starts or retirement looms. Why think about greatness?

                  Because it's the only way to go. Why would we want anything less?

                  It all starts with you and me. Greatness needs to become a household word and a leadership mantra. Greatness 101 should be a required course from grade school through University. If you aren't having a great life or heading towards greatness, what are you waiting for? If you're already well on your way, let me serve as a friendly reminder and resource.

                  Every great epoch and life stage gets birthed into existence by a collision of forces. Take a look back at planetary as well as human history. Even family history. It takes a great force to catalyze quantum leaps of growth and development.

                  Many of us are going back to the basics: seeking more meaning and quality time. More and more of us are leaving high-paced lives and choosing new lifestyles and directions. Whether you're focused on your job, determined to lead your company through these tough times, making a difference in your community, or simply wanting more time with your loved ones, major change is in the offing.

                  Thankfully we are in charge of our own greatness. We are each on the vanguard of change. Our willingness to catalyze greatness in others will lead us into a far better future. On a personal, community and organizational level, we as leaders have to turn our attention to tapping the greatness within.

                  For those of us who envision a better future, now is the time to go for it! New skill sets and perspectives are required. Old habits don't go easily. We weren't trained for this new tour of duty. Change is the norm. Time is moving rapidly with little to spare. That's the nature of life these days.

                  So get ready. Greatness awaits.

                  Greatness is what coaching is all about. And that's why my Quintessential Principles of GreatnessSM will help you blaze a trail in these challenging times. This month's issue is about ALWAYS ADDING VALUE. The Feature Article is Are You Riding A Dead Horse or Always Adding Value?

                  Don't miss this month's Greatness in the News story, Food for Peace, about Daniel Lubetzky, an inspiring entrepreneur whose company is proving that profits with purpose are the only way to go.

                  Check out Widening the Circle: Our Readers' Comments & Questions. Thanks for your input. Your provocative questions and comments will make this ezine the greatest! Thanks also for sending in your own Stories of Greatness. Don't miss this issue's newest story about Kevin Nierman, an artist turned successful franchiser.

                  Ask Karen or arrange for a free phone consultation if you have any questions or comments based on this month's principle or anything else that's up for you.

                  Are you ready for greatness? Join me and other Vanguard LeadersSM to create great outcomes in my new spring offerings starting April '05. Gain tools and new perspectives to lead at the cutting edge and discover your personal road to greatness. Click New for YOU to find out more.

                  Live your Greatness. Lead for Greatness.

            Do a mental check of all your relationships…from the boardroom to the bedroom! Are you adding value in every one of them?

            How could you restructure your professional or business life to add more value?

            Are You Riding A Dead Horse Or Always Adding Value? If you think you're too small to make a difference, you've never been in bed with a mosquito.
                  - Anita Roddick
                  Founder, The Body Shop
                  We are not here merely to make a living. We are here to enrich the world.
                  - Woodrow Wilson
            Whether you are extraordinary at something, or everything, I bet you strive to be the best in whatever you do. Or at least you want to believe that of yourself. :) (If you don't, why not?)
            You're inspired by people who add value to life and work.

            In fact, if all of us were to add value all the time, it would be nirvana on this planet. Oh well. Not yet. I keep envisioning it and working towards it anyway.

            It works both ways. If we want to receive value, then we must also add value. When we do, we get far more in return than we ever dreamed possible. So what does this have to do with riding a dead horse? It's pretty simple really. If we get stuck riding dead horses, we can't possibly be contributing the optimal value. And if we aren't, then we can't even get onto the trail of greatness. :)

            The time is ripe for those who want to take a quantum leap in every aspect of their life. Go from Doing Great to Leading with Greatness.

            Click for complete feature: Are You Riding A Dead Horse Or Always Adding Value?

            Are You Always Adding Value?
              a.. You have a friend who is top salesman. His supportive boss has been replaced by a new boss who thrives on intimidation. Each day starts with a sales meeting where veterans and newbies alike are brutally put under the spotlight only to be criticized and demeaned. No one knows when their day is coming. Sales are plummeting, goals set way too high. Living a life of Russian Roulette, you advise him to:
                1.. change saddles. Encourage him to seek out a posting in another part of the same company.
                2.. change stallions and bolt the corral. It is obvious that the policies of the division are company-wide. Managing by intimidation is blessed up the ladder. Time to leave a bad situation and find a company that will appreciate who he is and what he brings.
                3.. just hang in there, put his nose to the grindstone, and keep kicking ass.
                4.. boot his boss into space.

              b.. So, you reach retirement. You pocket your gold watch, shake hands with old friends and colleagues, rush home to pack your bag for a cruise to Cancun and then you think:
                1.. "Retirement!!! I will never set the alarm again."
                2.. "As soon as I return, I want to find people and organizations that need my expertise. Join some Boards, start a consulting firm, invest in companies I believe in."
                3.. "I have no place in the world anymore. No one needs me now."
                4.. "Wonder how much I could get for this gold watch?"

            Click to complete the Greatness Quiz and find out how much value you have to add.

            From Kay:
            Kar, isn't talking about "masculine" traits vs. "feminine" traits, particularly in the career world, just perpetuating the old fashioned outlook about these traits? Isn't that exactly what we need to change, e.g. Martha Stewart is a bitch but Donald Trump is an aggressive business man. Am I missing something here?

            Dear KAY:

            Whatever languaging I may use, the key is that I'm talking about reaching wholeness. Thus, my reference to a sacred marriage.

            There are many viable models to understand our Psyche. I use them all depending on the subject at hand. The model I use most often is based on the work of Carl Jung. Feminists have questioned his use of a feminine versus masculine model in the past. What's important to "get" is that we all are wired with energetic imprints within our psyches. They act as unconscious drivers in our lives.

            Click to read the rest of Karen's Response.

                  Write the book you were destined to write!
                  Your message matters. Book-coach/ writer/ editor tranforms great ideas into captivating print. California-based, works nationwide. Excellent references. "Lisa Derr's patience, astute knowing and reassuring praises makes the process of writing my life's work an experience I relish and cherish. She is a 'find' who encourages me to shine."--Karen Sands
                  Call for a free consultation: Lisa Derr, M.A. 1.209.952-2690 or email Lisa at thewritingworkshop.com.
                  Get healthy for greatness!
                  Do health issues limit your progress toward greatness? Naturopathic medicine treats the causes of health problems with effective natural methods to create true healing. Increased well-being, energy, and focus can help you create the life of fulfillment and purpose you were meant to live!
                  Call to schedule an in-person consultation with Dr. Debra Gibson, Naturopathic Physician for over 20 years @ 203-431-4443.
                  Get visible now!
                  The world is waiting for you. Learn how to achieve greater career or business success by developing the confidence and know-how that inspires people and gets them wanting what you offer every time you speak.
                  Call Jeremy Nash for a free phone assessment: 914.762.0322.
                  CommunicationAtWork.net.
                  Get your message out on the web!
                  The internet is the world's "yellow pages." Get listed! The web team of mnp13.com put together this and other top-notch professional websites. Ask Karen Sands about our quality work at affordable prices and on-schedule delivery. She was pleased. You will be too.
                  Call Michelle for more information - 585.451.5011
                  View our portfolio www.mnp13.com.
                  Reading this directory? Then why not put your ad here?
                  Reach thousands of Vanguard leaders, executives, "movers & shakers" and superstars. Buy an affordable directory listing on our web site and/or an ad for placement in our newsletter.
                  Reserve your spot today!

                  Paid Advertising Disclaimer: Future Works® Institute does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the paid advertisements above or the quality of any products, information, or other materials displayed, purchased, or obtained by you as a result of an offer in connection with any ad. It's common sense to do your own due diligence before purchasing any product.

            Manage your Subscription
            Click here to change your email address or unsubscribe from the Future Works® GazetteSM.

            Please make sure to add KarenSands at FutureWorksGazette.com and KS at FutureWorksInstitute.com to your whitelist or address book in your e-mail program, so we don't get spammed into the ethers. Be sure to send us your preferred email address so you don't miss out on any of our complimentary issues.

            © 1997-2005 Karen Sands/Future Works® Institute, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.