FW: [Fredslist] Capital Questions [Op Ed]

Zahn, Bari bzahn at torys.com
Mon Dec 19 17:59:15 EST 2005

People always say to those who don't support the death penalty that if
you had a family member that was murdered you would feel differently.
Well, my 28-year old baby brother and only sibling was murdered in his
own home about 5 years ago. Thankfully, they caught the 3 young men
responsible, but at no time did I ever think a-life-for-a-life was the
answer. It's unfortunate that we have not advanced to a level of
conscious awareness as a human race to realize that Hamurabi's Code,
which is exemplified by our modern death penalty, does not work.I am not
a religious person, but I am spiritual and I cherish human life. I find
it intersting that the republican administration and the religious right
have no qualms about supporting the death penalty, but are adamant about
telling a woman what she can and cannot do with her body own body.

Other than in the name of self-defense, I cannot understand the eye for
an eye tooth for a tooth mentality. Moreover, even if I was a supporter,
unless we could be 100% positive that we would not execute innocent
people and that the death penalty would not disproportionately effect my
human family of color I could never support such a policy.

So there you have it through the eyes of a family member of a murder
victim. It's no accident that most civilized countries have banned the
death penalty all together. I only hope and pray that we as a society
reach a critical mass in human conscious awarenes such that public
support for this method of punishment shall be no more.

Happy Holidays to all and best wishes for peace on Earth.

All my heart,
Bari

This is to advise you in accordance with U.S. Treasury Regulations, that
unless otherwise indicated, any U.S. federal tax advice set forth in
this communication, including attachments, may not be relied upon by any
person for the purpose of avoiding the imposition of penalties by the
Internal Revenue Service.