[Fredslist] GOTHAM SOFTBALL - WEEK 12

Donald Bernstein dbernstein at victorbernstein.com
Thu Aug 11 14:40:50 EDT 2005

GOTHAM BOMBERS SOFTBALL -  WEEK 12

    The Bombers played our last regular game last night, and won, again.
I don't know whether to be happy, having finished such a great
unexpectedly whopping season, or to be sad that once again, the long
awaited softball year, like the summer, is slowly burning out.

    Not so fast though, NOT SO FAST!  There is at least one and we
expect two games left.  The playoffs start Wednesday, and we will be
there.  If we win that one then the following week is the final
championship game.  Who would have thought a year ago we would be here
now just one game away from the championships?  Probably no one, at
least not anyone sober.

    The facts:  Our 12 to 2 win last night gave us a whopping season
ending 11-1 record.  Feast your eyes on that!  Just the reverse of last
year's dismal malnourished performance.  This year we tied for first
place.  And we had the least number of runs scored against us overall
than any other team in the league.  All sorts are taking credit for that
one.  Was it our great shortstop; our great left fielder; our great
pitcher; or maybe our great catcher?  (We do have the best catcher in
the league.)   Maybe the credit should go to our great butt-kicking
bat-smacking ball-whipping women teammates, not a weak link among them.
The fact is there is not weak link anywhere in the field, and every
player is capable of making the play as we proved again last night with
two more double plays.

    The first playoff game is Wednesday, August 17th at 5:30 pm, field
number 12 in the North Meadow in Central Park (around 101st Street).
Our team shirts are being laundered, our gloves oiled, and our cleats
cleaned, and we will be ready.  Show some Gotham spirit, come and out
and watch and cheer.  Bring your own ball park franks though, no food
provided.  And someone bring a camera.

H.H.D.B.