[Fredslist] Gotham's conflict policy

michael landrum mikelandrum at optonline.net
Thu Apr 14 21:37:27 EDT 2005

Dear Gothamites -

In our "Incubator Meeting" tonight, we discussed the issue of business conflicts at our networking meetings.  It's a policy that I think needs to be adjusted in one special aspect.  Gotham members should be allowed to "Ride the Circuit" to every other group at least once without veto by a member of that group as a business conflict.

Yes, we should continue to honor exclusive business membership within groups - this suggestion only applies to visitors.

It is short sighted and counter-productive to restrict access to the whole network by all members.  If you feel threatened by a one-time visitor to your group, you need to strengthen your relationship to your group.  Visitors are potential clients as well as competitors, you know.  By vetoing a competitor, you deprive a fellow member of a possible client, and they would deprive you of one with their veto of one of their competitors.  This is pessimistic, lack-focused thinking.

Why not expand the abundance of our network?  There's plenty for all, and we all deserve to network with all.  We can learn, grow and benefit from a more collegial relationship with one another - even and perhaps especially with those in the same line of work.

Please let Fred and Nancy know that you support an open network and a change in this unfair and unfriendly policy.

Mike Landrum
Speaker, Writer, Coach

"Speak to benefit the audience"

www.CoachMike.com